Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Contemplating a very long walk

One thing that interests me very much is travel. I travel as much as I can, and as much as I can afford. When I travel, I push my body to its limits, and sometimes beyond. I can walk for hours straight, for days straight.

I am highly interested, therefore, in walking or biking across the United States. I think I can do it.

This would be my plan: If I were walking, I would take a modified version the American Discovery Trail, which spans 15 states from Washington, DC to California. However- you notice that there are big chunks of road that loop around, and don't go in a general straight way.

Here is the route I would take instead, in purple:


I would basically follow the Lincoln Highway- I-80/90, through an area I know- upper Ohio and Indiana- skirt Chicago to the South, and pick up the trail from there. Then in Utah, I would follow what I believe is I-70.

If I were biking, I would take the most direct route possible, but not from Washington, DC. I would instead start in New York City. taking the most direct route according to Google Maps.



Now, I have a bike and a helmet. But there's a few other things I would need.

One, I would need a sleeping bag, such as this found at Wal-Mart:
Two, I would need a tent. This one, also from Wal-Mart, would be sufficient:
Three, I would need a GPS and a solar charger. This one would do fine for the trip.
Four, I would need a camera equipped with nightvision, preferably sturdy enough to withstand the elements and lightweight, with a lightweight tripod. I am having trouble finding an example for that. But being a filmmaker it would be necessary- because then I could turn it into a documentary.

So what do you think? Could I do it? Comments, please!

1 comment: